Canada is one of the most popular country for all individuals who are looking for overseas career and study opportunities. With every passing year, Canada is increasing its yearly immigrant intake which makes it the most desirable country to immigrate. People who are seeking to settle down in Canada, there are so many ways to meet your immigration goals, you can get a PR visa in Canada and after some time if you meet certain requirements then you can even become a Canadian citizen.
Canadian citizenship requirements
If you want to get Canadian citizenship then you have to meet certain requirements:
- The individuals who are applying for Canadian citizenship, they need to have permanent resident status in Canada and have lived there for at least 3 years (1,095 days) out of the past 5 years.
- Children who are under the age of 18 and they are applying for Canadian citizenship they also need to have permanent resident status in Canada but they do not have to fulfill the requirement of 3 years.
- Applicants have to prove their language skills in either one or both of Canada’s official languages English or French. Good command over at least one official language is mandatory, it can be French or English, you can not avert this requirement.
- If you want to apply for Canadian citizenship you should not have any criminal history or record. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada have restrictions to granting citizenship to those individuals who have any type of criminal history. If you have any criminal charge no matter inside or outside Canada, you will not be granted Canadian citizenship.
- You need to be aware of the rights and responsibilities which you will have as a citizen of Canada and you also need to have basic knowledge of history of Canada, its political system, and the geographic structure of Canada.
- Applicants should have file their taxes if needed
- All applicants should have submitted a formal application to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), after that need to pay government processing fees, and a right of citizenship fee.
Applicants who meet all the requirements they can apply for canadian citizenship. If their application gets approved then they have to take a Canadian citizenship test. Those applicants who clear the test they have to attend a citizenship ceremony, where they will receive a certificate of Canadian citizenship and after getting the certificate then they officially become new Canadian citizens.
How to Apply for Canadian Citizenship
You can apply for Canadian citizenship in three easy steps, which are:
Get an application package
First thing you have to do is to select an application package, which includes the instruction guide and every single form which you have to fill out. many times people forget few documents which makes the Canadian citizenship process quite arduous. Instruction guide will help you in this with the help of instruction guide you can check every document which you have and which you forgot.
Pay the application fees
Your application fees depend on your age if you are an adult (above 18 years) or minor (below 18years). You should know that your fees include:
- The processing fee
- The right of citizenship fee
If you are submitting more than one application at a time, then you can pay all the fees at once.
Submit your application
You should have met all the requirements for Canadian citizenship the day you submitted your application form.
Canadian Citizenship Process
Here are the steps that you need to follow to become a Canadian citizen:-
- When you apply for citizenship make sure you meet all the requirements only then you will be eligible for Canadian Citizenship.
- Before applying calculate how long you have been living in Canada as a permanent resident. If you have been spent at least 3 years (1,095 days) out of the past 5 years, only then apply for citizenship.
- Gather your documents before submitting an application because it takes time, abruptly you can not gather all necessary documents.
- After gathering all documents complete your application form, answer all questions asked in the application form.
- You have to pay your fees, you can pay your fees online also. If you have submitted more than one application then you can pay complete fees together.
- Submit your application, before submitting check all documents carefully because if you forget even a single document then the Canadian citizenship process will be arduous for you.
- Once you submit the application start preparing for the Canadian citizenship test, you may get an invitation to write your test within a week. So once you submit the application start preparing for the test.
- You needed to go for the interview to the local citizenship office, where an officer will review your application and documents.
- After the interview wait for the decision, once the citizenship official makes the decision on your application they will inform you about that. If you meet the eligibility you will receive a message from the official, who will notify you about the time and location of your citizenship ceremony.
- At last you have to go to a ceremony and take the oath, once you take the oath and get the certificate you will officially become a Canadian Citizen.